What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
Dad Breaks Down In Tears After Finding His Cat Survived The Wildfire
He Received A Wrong Number Text. 7 Months Later He Got Another That Made His Day
Groom Loses It When He Turns To See His Best Friend During First Look
Family Writes Touching Letter About Their 'Hospice Cat'
Payless Put Their Shoes In A Fake Designer Store And People Paid Hundreds For Them
Son Finds Out His Divorced Parents Kissed And The Story Is Going Viral
Horse Brings Joy To Hospital Patients. When He Meets This Man, I Lost It
Squirrel Jumps On UPS Delivery Man
Church Makes Hilarious 'Christmas, According to Kids' Video
Man Tries To Rescue Clark Griswold Decoration From Home's Christmas Display
Listen To The Rock Version Of 'You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch' That Everyone Is Sharing