What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
Man Builds Underwater Maze For Octopus, Puts Its Intelligence To The Test
The Grinch Crashed A Doggy Daycare - And The Dogs Were Not Having It
Wife Makes Husband Return Orange Juice, Wins $315M Lottery With $2 He Saved
In This Image There Are 16 Circles. Can You Find Them?
A Mom Whispered To Santa That Her Son Is Blind And Autistic
The Artistic Wizardry Of The House Illusion Sculpture
Father Comes Home From Afghanistan To Surprise His Son Before His Game
A Father Asks His 3-Year-Old Son 'What's The Secret To Happiness?'
What If Parents Acted Like Kids? Watch This Couple's Hilarious Video
A Mesmerizing Timelapse Of A Christmas Tree Grown From A Pine Cone Seed
The Most Wholesome Christmas Morning Reaction Ever