What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
Wild Monkeys Welcome Back An Injured Young Monkey Who Spent 3 Weeks Being Treated For An Injury
Women Surround Crying Mom Whose Toddler Was Having A Meltdown At The Airport
20 Volunteers Perform CPR On Man In Grocery Store For 96 Minutes Until Paramedics Arrived
Dog Sleeps In Owners' Bed Every Night, Then They Had A Baby
The Golden Retriever Egg Challenge Is The Best Viral Video Trend Yet
Dad Comes Up With Brilliant Method To Trim Dog's Nails
Norway's Ski Team Made An Epic Parody Of 'Gangnam Style' For The 2018 Winter Olympics
Everyone Loses It Over This Game Show Question's Possible Answers
People Can't Stop Laughing At NBC's Opening Ceremony Commentary On The Netherlands
Pig Brings Lunch To His Brother Who Has Trouble Walking
This Guy Created A Highlight Reel Of His Speedy Dog Out-Maneuvering Every Other Dog At The Park