What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
Mischievous Toddlers Beg For Forgiveness And It's The Cutest Thing Ever
Man On A Walk Shares The Hilarious Sign Someone Posted About Their Cat
A Spotted Horse, Pony, And Dog Are Best Friends
The Shopping Cart Theory: Are You A Good Or Bad Member Of Society?
Alex Smith's Wife Made His Leg Brace Into A Trophy To Remind Him How Far They've Come
A Japanese Man Rents Himself Out To 'Do Nothing'. He Has Thousands Of Clients
Cat Refuses To Give Up His Cat Crack
Two Italian Toddlers Argue Exactly How You Would Expect
Wild Horse Sprints To His Girlfriend After Years Apart
Man Is Surprised To See His Dog On The Roof, Then Checks The Security Camera
Cuteness Overload: Puppy Climbs Aboard Mama Duck