What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
Background Extra Makes Hilarious Compilation Of Films He's Been In
A Perfect Explanation Of Why 'Game Of Thrones' Feels So Different Now
A List Of Proper Animal Names
If Disney Made Game Of Thrones
Dad Writes Powerful Message About His 'Fierce And Feminine' Daughter
Redditors Find Missing Cat For Trucker Who Lost Him At A Truck Stop
He's Freaking Out Over A Frog On His Arm, Then Mom Accidentally Makes It Way Worse
Bill Hader Impersonates Arnold Schwarzenegger, But As A Toddler
This Doggy Dance Off Is Going To Make Your Day
Videos Of Cats Destroying Things Made Into A Heavy Metal Music Video
Dog Always Celebrates After Getting A Treat