What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
Husband Begs Wife To Tell Him It's A Joke During Hilarious Pregnancy Reveal
Police Say It's The Best Senior Prank They've Ever Seen
Here's Everything You Should Have By Age 35
He Finally Found His Birth Mother, And Discovered She Owned A Restaurant Named After Him
Dog Adopts 9 Ducklings Who Were Found Wandering Around A Castle Alone
Her Son Was The Only Black Kid On The Court. Suddenly, Everyone Approached Him
A Bad Lip Reading Of The Royal Wedding
He Buys 5,400 Balls At Toys-R-Us On Clearance And Gives His Dog The Best Day Ever
Michael Keaton Only Needed 2 Words To Make This The Greatest Ending To A Graduation Speech
Horse Riding Presenter Risks Her Life To Catch Runaway Horse During Live Broadcast
Brothers And Friends Perform Emotional Haka At Funeral For Teen Lost To Suicide