Fire Department Honors Mandy The Cat For Saving A Life During A House Fire

April 16, 2022

The Highway 58 Volunteer Fire Department in Chattanooga, TN, presented a plaque Friday to Mandy the cat, whose bravery saved a life during a recent house fire.

cat saves family house fire
Mandy and her owner / Credit: Michael Locke

Tammy York was watching movies and had fallen asleep. Amy Maxwell, of the Hamilton County Emergency Services, explained that Tammy had candles burning and the wax had begun to drip on the carpet that started a fire.

"I remember the cat, Mandy, making strange noises and tugging on my nightgown," Tammy told the Chattanoogan. "I never woke up. Then she pounced on my chest and slapped in the face with her paws. I immediately woke up and began choking due to the heavy smoke in my house! Myself and Mandy were able to escape unharmed."

Firefighters arrived within minutes and were able to save the house. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

"She's my guardian angel," Tammy said.

Click Here For The Most Popular On Sunny Skyz

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!