How My Life Changed Since I Stopped Drinking
By The Voyage Time • June 27, 2017
The way alcohol is marketed they make it seam that as long as you are not sleeping on a cardboard box on a rainy sidewalk, you don't have a problem, but drinking, at least like the way I did, had so many consequences it is truly astounding to see, now that I have space from my drinking days.
I got sober 416 days ago and my life has completely turned around in so many ways it is kind of crazy. I will just list a few things that have changed since I stopped drinking:
- I use to drink because I was 'bored' with life/the world. I would wake every morning with a hangover and say 'shit I gotta do this again..." Now I get up every morning clear headed, full of energy and when I lay down at night I say 'shit I wish I had more time in the day to do everything I want to do...'
- I lost 58 pounds.
- I went through 3 months of credit card bills and saw I spent on average $37 a day on alcohol 7 days a week. I have been sober 416 days so that is $15,392 not spent on alcohol
- I use to think I was a high-functioning alcoholic, because I kept a job. Well since I quit drinking I got a 26% raise at work (my manager said, 'I don't know what you did but you are kicking ass'), plus because I am not hung over I am more productive at work, and my job has an incentive program where I get paid more for being more productive. This means I have increased my yearly income by about $25,000-$30,000
- I use to start my nights drinking at fancy restaurants because I would sit there at the bar and drink $12 glasses of wine, and look at all the fancy people and say 'I don't have a problem because look at how sophisticated I am, I am not drinking malt liquor from a bottle at the park' Now I prepare dinner every night for my wife and baby and no longer partake in the delusion that you can't have a drinking problem if you have money.
- I fixed my relationship with my family, and am now speaking to everyone, whereas I had not spoken to my brother for 2.5 years because I said stupid shit to him, and other family members when I was drunk.
- I have found a profound sense of peace that I have not experienced since I was a child.
Literally everything in my life is better since I stopped drinking.
Two Groups Of Penguins Stop For A Chat, Then The Confusion Sets In
Man On A Walk Shares The Hilarious Sign Someone Posted About Their Cat
A Spotted Horse, Pony, And Dog Are Best Friends
The Shopping Cart Theory: Are You A Good Or Bad Member Of Society?
A Japanese Man Rents Himself Out To 'Do Nothing'. He Has Thousands Of Clients
Alex Smith's Wife Made His Leg Brace Into A Trophy To Remind Him How Far They've Come
Cat Refuses To Give Up His Cat Crack
Cuteness Overload: Puppy Climbs Aboard Mama Duck
Dad Tests Out Baby-Proof Bowl. This Is How It Went
Celebrities Remade 'The Princess Bride' From Scratch During Quarantine
Concerned Dogs Help Sick Mom