How My Life Changed Since I Stopped Drinking
By The Voyage Time • June 27, 2017
The way alcohol is marketed they make it seam that as long as you are not sleeping on a cardboard box on a rainy sidewalk, you don't have a problem, but drinking, at least like the way I did, had so many consequences it is truly astounding to see, now that I have space from my drinking days.
I got sober 416 days ago and my life has completely turned around in so many ways it is kind of crazy. I will just list a few things that have changed since I stopped drinking:
- I use to drink because I was 'bored' with life/the world. I would wake every morning with a hangover and say 'shit I gotta do this again..." Now I get up every morning clear headed, full of energy and when I lay down at night I say 'shit I wish I had more time in the day to do everything I want to do...'
- I lost 58 pounds.
- I went through 3 months of credit card bills and saw I spent on average $37 a day on alcohol 7 days a week. I have been sober 416 days so that is $15,392 not spent on alcohol
- I use to think I was a high-functioning alcoholic, because I kept a job. Well since I quit drinking I got a 26% raise at work (my manager said, 'I don't know what you did but you are kicking ass'), plus because I am not hung over I am more productive at work, and my job has an incentive program where I get paid more for being more productive. This means I have increased my yearly income by about $25,000-$30,000
- I use to start my nights drinking at fancy restaurants because I would sit there at the bar and drink $12 glasses of wine, and look at all the fancy people and say 'I don't have a problem because look at how sophisticated I am, I am not drinking malt liquor from a bottle at the park' Now I prepare dinner every night for my wife and baby and no longer partake in the delusion that you can't have a drinking problem if you have money.
- I fixed my relationship with my family, and am now speaking to everyone, whereas I had not spoken to my brother for 2.5 years because I said stupid shit to him, and other family members when I was drunk.
- I have found a profound sense of peace that I have not experienced since I was a child.
Literally everything in my life is better since I stopped drinking.
Dad Is Admiring A Car In The Parking Lot, Then His Daughter Hands Him The Keys
Wife Throws Husband A Vasectomy Party
Principal Was Ready To Quit, Then She Heard What This Student Said About Her
She Just Lost Her Husband, Then Bob The Disfigured Angel Cat Shows Up
How This Simple Car Sticker Is Making A Huge Impact
This Zoo Will Name A Cockroach After Your Ex And Then Feed It To A Meerkat On Valentine's Day
The Way This Cat Marches Down The Hallway With His Stuffed Rabbit Is Hilarious
Hugh Jackman And Ryan Reynolds Call A Truce And We Can't Stop Laughing
Forecast Was Freezing Rain, But He Had To Go Check It Out
Dog Shares Her Treat And It's The Cutest Thing Ever
Man Finds And Develops 31 Rolls Of Never-Before-Seen Photos From World War II