The Science Behind Baking The Most Delicious Cookie Ever!
June 12, 2015
Thanks to a bioengineering grad student named Kendra Nyberg - who co-taught a class at UCLA called Science and Food - and chef and cookbook author Tessa Arias, the perfect cookie can be created if you follow these simple tips...
1. Ooey-gooey: Add 2 cups more flour.
2. Crispy with a soft center: Use 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
3. A nice tan: Set the oven higher than 350 degrees (maybe 360). Caramelization, which gives cookies their nice brown tops, occurs above 356 degrees, says the Ted video.
4. Chewy: Substitute bread flour for all-purpose flour.
5. Just like store-bought: Trade the butter for shortening. Arias notes that this ups the texture but reduces some flavor; her suggestion is to use half butter and half shortening.
6. Thick (and less crispy): Freeze the batter for 30 to 60 minutes before baking. This solidifies the butter, which will spread less while baking.
7. Cakey: Use more baking soda because, according to Nyberg, it "releases carbon dioxide when heated, which makes cookies puff up."
8. Butterscotch flavored: Use 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (instead of the same amount of combined granulated sugar and light brown sugar).
9. Uniformity: If looks count, add one ounce corn syrup and one ounce granulated sugar.
10. More. Just, more: Chilling the dough for at least 24 hours before baking deepens all the flavors, Arias found.
It's like finding all the answers to a math test you haven't studied for!
Little Girl Lip Syncs 'Girls Like You' With Daddy And It's The Cutest Thing Ever
Teacher Finds Messages On Her Student's Pencils
Couple's Maternity Shoot In A Pumpkin Patch Has A Terrifying Ending
US Embassy Accidentally Invites People To Cat Pajama Party
Three Sisters Are Going As The Hocus Pocus Witches For Halloween
Police Officer's Heartfelt Plea Describes The Side Of The Job You Don't Read About In The News
Athlete With Cerebral Palsy Learns He's Been Signed By Nike
Someone Added Hilarious Captions To An Argument Between A French Bulldog And Mom
Watch This High School Dance Team's Magical Harry Potter Routine
Werewolf? Man Films Enormous Wolf During Late Night Drive
A Baby Tumbles Down A Hill On Live TV During A Rugby Match