What Makes Us Happy
By Red • October 31, 2014
I have been practicing the art of happiness long before doing this research. The thing that helped me the most at becoming a happier person being appreciative of what I have. This single technique transformed me into a completely different person. Being appreciative also helped me rid of "If I X, I will be happy" thoughts. It is very important to understand that we are capable of being happy in the now.
What can we do to become happier?
- Forgive and forget. Don't hold grudges
- Create strong relationships with friends and family
- Have a passion and develop a skill
- Don't compare yourself selves to others. (Facebook)
- Love yourself. (compliment yourself. recognize your positive characteristics)
- Be appreciative and grateful for the big and little things in life. Create a list at least once a week of the things you are appreciate.
- Be optimistic
- Don't predict when you will happy/unhappy. We tend to overestimate when we will be happy/unhappy. Avoid phrases such as "I will be happy when X" and "I would be much happier if I was Xing".
Things that we think will attain us happiness, but does not
- Money. Money doesn't make you happy, but the lack of money makes you unhappy. (In other words, unless you are in poverty, money isn't very important)
- Personal aesthetic (how great our hair looks, how great our outfit is today, etc.)
- Material possessions
Take everything in this post with a grain of salt. Most of the information provided is from scientific research, but I also took some notes from some less credible sites.
This Video Of A 105-Year-Old Meeting His 5-Day-Old Great Grandson Is Bringing Joy To The World
The 12 Funniest Internet Responses To United Airlines
Family Plays Horror Board Game And Gets More Than They Bargained For
The 10 Funniest Sibling Photo Recreations On The Internet
Rogue Stapler Leaves The 4th Floor To Explore The World
This Corgi Ate Pumpkin Seeds, Pooped Them Out, And They Started Growing
This Kitten Was Abandoned, Then A Crow Does Something You've Never Seen
Girl Sings 'Hallelujah' With Lyrics That Tell The Easter Story
Man On Paddle Board Is Stalked By Curious Orca
4-Year-Old From Daddy-Daughter Duo Sings Beautiful Easter Hymn
The Funniest News Bloopers Of People Falling. I Can't Stop Laughing!