14 Psychology Facts That Everyone Needs To Know
May 5, 2015
The folks over at Higher Perspective put together this wonderful list of psychology facts that everyone should read...
1. Your favorite song is likely associated with an emotional event.
Long-term favorites differed from daily favorites, being associated with intense emotional events in listeners' lives. (source)
2. Music impacts your perspective.
Music is not only able to affect your mood - listening to particularly happy or sad music can even change the way we perceive the world, according to research from the University of Groningen. (source)
3. The more you spend on others, the happier you are.
According to various studies. Be sure to give plenty this holiday season! (source)
4. Spending money on experience instead of stuff also makes you happier.
Collect memories not things, right? (source)
5. Kids are more high strung today than the average psych ward patient in 1950.
Which is pretty scary but not surprising. About half the human population now suffers anxiety, depression, or a sort of substance abuse. (source)
6. Certain religious practices lower stress.
"The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Mood Disorders" shows that people who engage in meditation and prayer religiously are less stressed out. (source)
7. Money does buy happiness, but only up to $75,000 a year.
For the average American, $75k a year buys happiness. It liberates you from poverty and gets you what you need in life. (source)
8. Being with happy people makes you happier.
This should come as no surprise. (source)
9. 18 to 33 year olds are the most stressed out people on earth.
Family, education, work, it can all be pretty stressful. (source)
10. Convincing yourself you slept well tricks your brain into thinking it did.
Thus giving you more energy. They called it "placebo sleep". (source)
11. Smart people underestimate themselves and ignorant people think they're brilliant.
It's called the Dunning Kruger Effect, it's real, and just go on Facebook and you'll see what I'm talking about. (source)
12. When you remember a past event, you're actually remembering the last time you remembered it.
Alright, that one blew the hell out of my mind. This is why our memories fade and distort over time. (source)
13. Your decisions are more rational when thought in another language.
A university of Chicago study showed that Korean citizens who thought in foreign languages reduced their overall bias. Neat. (source)
14. If you announce your goals, you're less likely to succeed.
It's true. Tests since the 1930's have pretty well proven it. (source)
Via Higher Perspective.
News Anchors Can't Stop Laughing At Baseball Player With Uncanny Ability To Always Find The Camera
Student Begs Teacher To Bring Dog To Class And His Response Is Perfect
Dad's 'Rules For Dating My Daughters' Goes Viral
This Angry Cat Swimming Through Harvey's Floodwaters Is Winning The Internet
Hurricane Irma Sucked The Ocean Away From The Bahamas
They Dumped 12,000 Tons Of Orange Peels Into A National Park. This Is What It Looks Like Now
They Thought She Was Drawing A Judge And Eliminated Her Too Early. NO ONE Saw THIS Coming
Watch This Husky Try So Hard To Befriend The New Kitten
Guy On Disability Learns He Owns A Very Rare Blanket And It Changes His Life Forever
This Video Of Grandpa Making His Grandson Laugh Will Take All Your Blues Away
Have You Ever Seen A Groom This Happy To See His Bride?